An Taigh Cèilidh is a Gaelic cultural centre and community café. Everything is in Gaelic and Gaelic is the language of all customer services and business operation, including staff training. We have a gift shop that sells Gaelic books, greetings cards and maps, as well as a range of local arts and crafts, such as Harris Tweed and candles. We run events and clubs that encourage the use of Gaelic, and we have a 10% discount off hot drinks if people order in Gaelic (that is well advertised and staff are trained to help customers with it). Our events include live music and talks. Our clubs include boardgames and toddlers group.
Our mission statement:
1. To provide a welcoming and vibrant space for the Gaelic community and those interested in Gaelic culture
2. To be a "museum" of living intangible cultural heritage that promotes, documents, and invites service users to participate in, traditional Lewis culture and heritage
3. To empower Gaelic speakers of all levels and to showcase the value of Gaelic to the community, culture, economy, and reputation of Scotland
4. To add to Stornoway and the Isle of Lewis as a cultural destination, making Stornoway a nicer place to visit, live in, and work in
5. To address commitments made in the National Gaelic Language Plan and the National Islands Plan regarding culture, language, education, community, and economy
What is Social Enterprise?
The Complete Guide
Social Enterprise Places
Social Enterprise Jobs
Meet the Team
POLICY & CAMPAIGNS
Sign up to our mailing list to receive regular updates and social enterprise news in your inbox.